Tabs

11.04.2013

Monday's Musings - Getting Stuck in Grief

I got some encouragement yesterday. 

As I've said before, my husband and I are taking a GriefShare class at our church. I can highly recommend it to anyone who's lost someone they love. 

Next week's lesson is about getting stuck in grief. It's something that can happen when we don't know how to deal with the grief. As our facilitator was talking about next week, she said this, "It seems the three of you here aren't really stuck in grief." 

She has facilitated the class for years and so that was a great encouragement. I've had losses before. But losing two parents so close to each other has been difficult. Very difficult. 

But what I'm learning is to grieve. To let it out. And that's okay. 

We tend to want to stop the grief and pain. Our society really wants us to drive on. Get over it. 

But ignoring grief only puts it off and complicates the recovery. I know. 

At times, I've felt overwhelmed. 

I didn't want to cry anymore. 

I wanted my mom back. 

That's all normal. 

But now, because I've given myself permission to grieve, I cry less often. 

I have moments of enjoying life again. 

I'm seeing God work.  

I'm still going to cry. 

The holidays are going to be hard.

There's no way around that.

That's normal, too. 

But I'm not letting the deaths completely define me. 

They are part of my story, my journey.

God is using it. 

I have much to live for. 

My husband, my kids, my dad. 

My writing, my photography. 

God has blessed me greatly. 

And I can see that. 

For that, I am grateful.

How are you seeing God work in the midst of the joys and sorrows of life? 


Mary




3 comments:

  1. You have been on my mind @ various times, & I've been praying as He leads. Not having access to my computer (buried under the office's endless paperwork) I couldn't keep up on F/B, but please know you have indeed be lifted to His throne. And those prayers will continue as the holidays approach, & the moments may increase in depth & frequency.
    Please know I'm only a text away to pray.
    Wishing you & your family a peace filled celebration over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyn! I greatly appreciate the prayers. Yes, the holidays are going to be tough. But I will cherish the memories of my mom and father-in-law, even as I miss them!

      Delete
  2. Still praying for you, as the Lord brings you to mind....

    ReplyDelete