Tabs

7.21.2011

Striving for Excellence

Guesting for me today is Alycia Morales.  







          

  "Do you see a man who excels in his work?
He will stand before kings;
He will not stand before unknown men."
~ Proverbs 22:29
 
Many times I've heard editors and agents mention how few writers pay attention to details and strive for excellence in their work. These writers produce their manuscripts, write an uninteresting query letter or proposal, and turn them in, expecting acceptance and publication. When they receive rejection, their poor attitudes continue in their follow-up correspondence, blaming the agent or editor for not accepting their work.

These same writers tend to be people who believe they've been given a gift to write and write well, but they refuse to put any effort into the details. Editing? That's for people who aren't gifted. Spelling? Grammar? That's what editors are supposed to fix before they print my story. Professionalism? Who needs that when you're as talented as I am?

The scripture says that a man who excels in his work will stand before kings. I am consistently working at presenting my best in every work I do. I desire to see my work published in hopes that God will receive glory each time it's printed. I want His word to go forth for all to hear (or read). I want people to know Who I serve. In striving for excellence in all I put my fingers to do on the keyboard, I have confidence that God will be pleased. I know it doesn't bring Him glory to do something with laziness and poor attitude attached.

"And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ." ~ Proverbs 3:23-24

If we are truly serving God with our writing, we will write with everything in us, focusing on the Lord and His will, rather than the publishing dream. It's then that He can move and place us before the agents and editors and publishers and bring us into a publishing contract. 

If you're wondering why you seem to be stuck, ask God and yourself if you're doing all you can with excellence and if you're doing it for God or for yourself. Take the time to edit. Take the time to rewrite. Take the time to ask others if they enjoy your work. You may be surprised what can happen when you do!

Alycia Morales is a daughter of the King of Kings, wife to a wonderful husband, and mother to 4 children of her own and 1 who she accepts as my own. She loves Jesus. She loves to write. She loves to create. These things are that she lives for...


In addition, she is a great friend. 
Enjoy this post and check out her blogs:
Photo courtesy of Beate W. 

No comments:

Post a Comment