Recently, I realized that I've learned several life lessons from my cats. Especially our most recent additions. They were rescue kittens and I'm so blessed to have them.
What could a couple of furry felines teach me?
Let me count the ways and share how they apply to my life.
1) That it feels great to have someone greet me at the door. Seriously, they come running when I get home. They are just so happy I'm back and want to see me.
While I won't be purring at my family any time soon, I can make sure I welcome each of my kids and my husband home each time they arrive.
2) They're patient with me if I can't give them attention right away. They follow me around, hinting ever so sweetly, but they do wait for me to give them my attention.
Boy, do I need to learn their level of patience with others.
3) They know how to learn from the older cats in their lives. Our oldest cat likes fresh water out of the sink or bathtub. Once the kittens saw her drink from the tub, they want to jump in and drink when they hear the water get turned on.
How willing am I to learn from those who know the ropes in life better than I do? I hope to be a life long learner!
4) The seems to know when I'm not feeling well and curl up with me. When I go down with migraines, it's so comforting to have one or more of the cats come lie down with me. They seem to understand the need for rest.
Do I make sure to comfort those around me when they don't feel well?
5) They exhibit unconditional love. Our two kittens have never been mean to any of us. The only scratches have been accidental, like jumping down suddenly from our laps. They just love being with us, and we love having them.
Do I love my kids unconditionally or does it slip in to not-so-unconditional when they aren't getting their school or chores done? Or when they've done something wrong that needs to be addressed? I want them to know unconditional love.
I wasn't expecting their entrance into our home to bring wisdom, but they seemed to have done just that.
They've made me think about life more and have helped me mellow. That's pretty impressive for a couple of fur balls. So, by giving them a loving family and their lives back, they've helped me in mine.
I think that's an amazing thing for them to do. I'm glad I went to the rescue that day. They reached out to me through the cage bars and tugged on my heart strings. Little did I know that they could be an inspiration to me with their sweet demeanors.
What life lessons have you learned from your cats or other pets? Have you seen any of these in your pet's life?
5 Life Lessons I learned from my Cats (click and tweet)
BLOGS I JOIN: