Tabs

4.11.2014

Photo Tip Friday - Using Lighting and Perspective

by Mary Denman


Today, I really want you to start thinking about how lighting affects your shots because next week,
I'm starting a three part series all about lighting.

But before that, I want to show you how perspective can alter the effect of lighting. Or, how lighting can make you change your perspective. 


Let's get started. 

I visited Brook Green Gardens in Pawley's Island, SC. It's an amazing property. The owners, one of whom was an artist herself, set out to create an incredible outside museum with art. They only used American artists and built gardens to showcase the art. I went with my family the first day and then went back on my own to spend lots more time photographing.

This statue is so powerful by itself that they consciously made the surrounding area very simple. The reflection pool provided for some great shots. 

I walked the entire way around the statue, taking pictures from every angle. Why? Because of the lighting. You see, I was there in the middle of the day when lighting was the hardest to deal with. Natural sunlight is easier to work with in photography during the morning hours before 9 a.m. and the late afternoon hours after 3 p.m. (I will demonstrate and talk more about this next week in the first part of the series on lighting.)  But I couldn't be in the gardens only during those times. So I took pictures as best I could under the prevailing conditions. 

I started in front of the statue and worked my way around it. Notice the large reflection pool. I could only get so close, so I used the pool to add interest to the photos. 

Here's where I want you to start thinking. I want you to comment and tell me what's changing in the series of pictures. What do you notice about them? 

I also want you to tell me where the sun is. It's not directly in any of the shots, but it leaves enough clues so you can tell where it is. 

Which picture did I take with sun "behind me"?  Why do you think this?

So which is your personal favorite of all the shots?

I will answer any comments and make sure we cover all the clues left behind. But I'm pretty sure you will collectively figure it out. 

The reason I'm having you participate so much this week is because you will notice more about lighting before I start the series. Then, you'll be able to apply it more effectively. Plus, I love talking about photography! 



For bloggers: When you take pictures, you can use them for inspiration for blog posts. What would one of these pictures prompt you to write about?

For cell phone photographers: The same principles listed above apply to your cell phone.  As you move around your subject, the lighting will change and that affects your photos. Learn to use you phone camera just like a regular camera.


Hope this post helps.

Keep on clicking!

Mary


About me and my blog: 

I love writing, photography and teaching. I've tried to combine these loves on my blog. I talk about things I observe in life during Monday's Musings. On Wednesday, I participate in Wordless Wednesday which showcases people's photography from all over the world. Then on Fridays, I do Photography Tips.

Thanks for dropping by!


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Kristi! Your post on the aliens was funny!

      Delete
  2. Lovely! My two favorites are the second one and the last one. Wishing you a blessed Sunday and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! It was fun to get all the angles. And nice that no one else was around. I had that corner of the garden all to myself!

      Delete
  3. Great post yaar..! Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete