Tabs

6.19.2015

Photo Tip Friday: Taking Great Father's Day Shots

by Mary Denman    @MaryDenman
Mary Denman Photography


In the US, Father's Day is this Sunday, 21 June 2015. 

Often, that means family get togethers. It's an opportunity to photograph your loved ones and document time spent together. 

Today's tips are designed to help you record Father's Day! 

Let's get started. 











COLLAGE 1: Take pictures of fun and games by Mary Denman Photography
Collage 1: These are shots from the day celebrating with my father-in-law. 

The whole family got together.  The grandkids were playing the game Spoons so I took a shot of that. 

My daughter. who was getting married soon, was opening a present (a unique mixing bowl)  and then her uncle decided to use it as a face shield so I couldn't take his picture. I showed him! 

Seriously, my brother-in-law and I have a 25 year-long battle taking awkward pictures of each other! Or, taking a secret, crazy shot on the other person's camera...

TIP 1: Take photos that capture the feel of the get together. Does your family have special traditions? Maybe you play horseshoes, cards, or watch a particular program. Document that in pictures! Record what goes on around the house or out in the yard. Those shots can become a great memory of good times together. 



COLLAGE 2: Take pictures of the food
COLLAGE 2: Can you tell what we ate? Yep, Italian. My mother-in-law made her awesome meatballs and we had a great salad and lasagna. 

While it may seem a little odd to take pictures of food, think about this: Don't food pictures bring back memories? They sure do for me! This post is making me hungry. My kids will always associate that picture of the meatballs and sauce with their Grandmother! That's a great memory to have. 


TIP 2: Take a picture of the food from Father's Day. There really are many memories tied up in food. Preserve those! 


COLLAGE 3: Take photos of the person you're celebrating by Mary Denman 




COLLAGE 3: This is a more obvious photo opportunity. This is my father-in-law with his cake and when he's ready to open presents. He was like a kid in a candy store. 

He was so happy to have us all there. It was a pleasure to celebrate with him. 




TIP 3: Take photos of your dad with the cake, cards and presents! 




COLLAGE 4: This was my father-in-law with each of us. Why did I take all of these instead of one group shot? I couldn't do a group shot. There wasn't really room in the house and it wasn't practical to go outside since it was night. 

But I made a point to get pictures of my father-in-law with each of us. He was in Hospice care. I wanted to have a good shot of him with each child, just in case. I knew we'd have fewer opportunities to see him. I was right. This was our last day with him. These shots are pure gold! 

TIP 4: Take a group shot if you can, and if not, then take individual shots with your dad. 


TIP 5: Be generous with your photo taking! Take multiple angles. Record silly things, take multiple shots of the family at the table, playing games, grilling. 

Here's a blast from my past.....
My dad and mom, Daddy with all 6 of us, and Daddy with his Dad and one of my sisters



And here's a blast from the present....
I love you Daddy! Happy Father's Day!

I'm thankful to be your daughter. I love you Daddy!

TWEETABLE: Taking Great Father's Day Shots (click it and share it)





BLOGS I JOIN:

 Amanda’s Books and More  Say G'Day Saturday  Sincerely, Paula clairejustineWeekends Are Fun Linky Party That Friday Blog Hop  

5 comments:

  1. It will be Father's Day in the UK as well - great tips ! #weekendbloghop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice pictures. I like the idea of taking individual pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What nice photos of your family, your dad looks like a gem!!!
    Happy Fathers Day for him!
    Have a great weekend!
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures Mary, love the cake one!!

    Thanks for stopping by the weekend blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips Mary. I especially love the shot with the cake in focus as your dad holds it up....stunning!

    ReplyDelete