Tabs

2.05.2012

Does God Care Who Wins the Super Bowl?


While millions of fans are watching the Super Bowl, hoping their team wins, the question arises: Does God care who wins the Super Bowl?

Well, short answer: Yes.

But for the reasons we think? Probably not.

I enjoy watching the Super Bowl and the commercials.  Our family is just hanging out, eating, and laughing at the good ones. Personally, I really don’t care who wins this year. “My team” hasn’t been there for years. (Go Dallas!)

Since I don’t have a vested interest in this year, I started thinking about it. People are praying for God to help “their” team.

This is not a bad thing. Prayer is a great thing. But when we go to God with a list of our wishes, we sometimes we lose perspective on what prayer is about. We come to him with some great requests: forgive me (which he always answers) and help me listen to Your voice (another good one). Some good requests: please change me. Some laundry list requests: please change others, please take away all my pain, please do this, and please do that. Amen.

Some of our requests grow very self-centered: Fix everything for me. The way I want. God, make my team win.

Does God care about everything in our lives? Absolutely!

Psalm 55:22
Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.

1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
          

But does that mean I know what is best for me? I pray like I do sometimes.

Right now, God is working in millions of peoples’ lives and hearts. Only he knows best who needs encouragement, discipline, humbling, love, and compassion. He makes decisions that are for the good of many.

I need to come to him and cast my cares on him, but leave the answers to him. To trust him that he will answer in the best way for his glory and my good. But his glory comes first. My good comes from that.

And as for who wins the Super Bowl? I’m leaving that to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment